WELab Launchpad is an entrepreneurial learning experience with a focus on female-identifying students interested in building ideas for a STEM business or product.
What is WELab Launchpad?
Female-identifying undergraduate and graduate students interested in building a business idea or tech innovation will now have a place to go on campus! WELab Launchpad will support students through the formative stages of product/business development - from conception to prototyping.
Dedicated innovation spaces
You will have a dedicated workspace within our open-concept incubator, with access to high-performance computers, meeting spaces, portable whiteboards, electronics equipment and other materials. A close proximity to the Maker Multiplex also gives you access to the facilities you need for product design, testing and prototyping.
Regular check-ins with mentors
You will be matched with industry mentors who can help you take your idea further. You'll meet for regular check-ins to get the advice you need to build your idea into reality.
Workshops to hone your entrepreneurial skills
You will attend customized workshops to help develop your skills as an entrepreneur. These will cover a range of topics from developing business plans to assessing market need, and from expanding your network to understanding the stages of business.
Exposure to STEM & entrepreneurial events
Gain access to well-attended local and international public events and competitions to showcase your company and build your network.
- Have at least one dedicated full-time founder or co-founder who identifies as a woman
- Either hold an existing idea in a STEM field or be willing to work on a STEM idea that will be given to you.
- Have a driven, coachable and collaborative leadership team
- Plan to solve a compelling social and/or economic need relating to a STEM field
- Be willing to work from a designated workspace at the University of Calgary and commit to the program’s timelines and deliverables
- Be a University of Calgary undergraduate or graduate students from any faculty that is interested in building a STEM-related idea or startup
- Applicants must be able to participate in the program’s schedule
Submit an individual application or group application.
Three months (9 weeks)
There are no costs or fees to participate in WELab Launchpad.
To participate, you need to meet with industry mentors for periodic check-ins, attend workshops each Wednesday evening from 5 pm to 7 pm and your team must spend a minimum of 10 hours per week in your workspace.
Midnight on January 17, 2020. Applications now closed.
This program is open to female-identifying undergraduate and graduate students across all faculties interested in building an entrepreneurial idea in STEM.
Applications are limited
Only a handful of teams will be selected for this incredible experience. Apply early!